Random Runs and Sketch: Theodore Roosevelt Island

Sketch: Teddy Roosevelt. Click for larger image.

I love going for destination runs or playful runs. Today I went for a run to Theodore Roosevelt Island between Rosslyn, VA and Georgetown, MD and Washington, DC. It can be reached from the Mount Vernon Trail in Virginia.

On the island are some dirt trails, and in the middle is a massive statue of Teddy himself. I needed to see Teddy today. As I ran up, I realized I never read the quotes on the memorial. I stopped, waved hello to Teddy, and did 10 motivating burpees at his feet. It's my way of saying, "Damn. You are one motivating man!" After that, I took a few minutes to read the memorial stones. Here is what they read:


NATURE

There is delight in the hardy life of the open. (African Game Trails, 1910)

There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm. (African Game Trails, 1910)

The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased and not impaired in value. (The New Nationalism, 1910)

Conservation means development as much as it does protection. (The New Nationalism, 1910)

MANHOOD

A man's usefulness depends upon his living up to his ideals in so far as he can. (A Letter to Dr. Sturgis Bigelow, March 29, 1898)

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. (The Strenuous Life, 1900)

All daring and courage, all iron endurance of misfortune make for a finer and nobler type of manhood. (Address to Naval War College, June 2, 1897)

Only those are fit to live who do not fear to die: and none are fit to die who have shrunk from the joy of life and the duty of life. (The Great Adventure, 1918)

YOUTH

I want to see you game, boys, I want to see you brave and manly, and I also want to see you gentle and tender. (Address at Friends School, Washington, DC, May 24, 1907)

Be practical as well are generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars, but remember to keep your feet on the ground. (Speech at Prize Day Exercises at Groton School, Groton, MA, May 24 1904)

Courage, hard work, self-mastery, and intelligent effort are all essential to successful life. (America and the World War, 1915)

Alike for the nation and the individual, the one indispensable requisite is character. (American Ideals, 1897)

THE STATE

Ours is a government of liberty by, through, and under the law. (Speech at Spokane, WA, May 26, 1903)

A great democracy has got to be progressive or it will soon cease to be great or a democracy. (The New Nationalism, 1910)

Order without liberty and liberty without order are equally destructive. (Miscellaneous Writings, c. 1890s)

In popular government results worth having can be achieved only by men who combine worthy ideals with practical good sense. (Address at Harvard Union, Feb. 23, 1907)

If I must choose between righteousness and peace I choose righteousness. (America and the World War, 1915)

After that, I thanked Teddy for his great service to our country, for giving me some inspiration to live a better life, and ran the rest of my run.

Speaking of the rest of my run, I had some fun. I play this game sometimes to add a little something to my runs. Here are the rules:
1. No crossing the street without the walking man symbol, even if there are no cars.
2. Do non-stop burpees on the sidewalk as I wait for the walking man symbol.
3. If I'm in the middle of a burpee when the symbol comes on, then I have to finish that burpee.
4. If I can cross the street in time (given a number countdown), then I have to sprint across.
5. I can't change my route. I have to decide ahead of time whether I'm taking a left, right, or going straight.
6. If given a choice between multiple hills, then I have to do the steeper or more difficult hill.
7. No slowing down my pace so I don't have to do burpees or so I don't have to sprint. Keep it steady.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running