Book Review: The Silver Linings Playbook

In continuing my plan to read at least one book each month this year, in March I have just finished reading The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. I finished this book in two days. I'm beginning to like having this Kindle app on my phone.

I take an interest in books that address mental illness, like this one. The main character, Pat, has just been released from a mental hospital and is adjusting to life on the outside. He faces different challenges, including learning who is playing on the Philadelphia Eagles team, trying to connect with his father, dealing with Kenny G (yes, the soprano saxophonist), and more. Pat stays optimistic, though, and thinks of his life as a movie that God has planned. He believes that once he improves himself to God's approval, then he will get his silver lining, his happy ending.

Pat must learn how to deal with his mental illness outside the hospital. It's not so much dealing with his mental illness that is the struggle but dealing with different people in his life and accepting what happens. No matter how hard people try to improve themselves or their situation, sometimes the outcome is not what we want, and Pat learns to accept that. The book does not have his ideal happy ending, but it does have a silver lining.

This book brought me back to college, during my first break-up, and I remembered how I felt at the time. I remember the agony of wanting to improve myself so much, to be the girl of his dreams, to be the ideal, loving girlfriend that I was not. Second chances are not always given, but there is a silver lining to many circumstances.

I have not seen The Silver Linings Playbook in theaters yet, but I hear it was a good, emotional movie. I hope to see it soon and see if it is like the book at all.

If you enjoy a quick read, like football, and can appreciate a story about a man who struggles with mental illness, then you will probably enjoy this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running