Do Work: Lifting Heavy at Work


Many times my different professions and interests overlap. Sometimes I have to draw at work in order to explain what I mean or to design something science-y (very scientific). Sometimes I have to draw pictures to help clients remember how to do a certain exercise or stretch. Lately, though, I've been lifting weights to get strong for pleasure AND work.

I find myself getting frustrated with lifting items around work because I AM WEAK. I try to work smarter not harder and use levers as much as possible. When there is no way around lifting heavy stuff, I put on some music (maybe some Van Morrison to pump me up--"G-L-O-R-I-A!") and take a deep breath. I have to tell myself what I tell all my clients: the work you do in the gym will help you in life. I quickly review what exercises might help me as I begin to work.

Squat.
Feet shoulder width apart. Weight on the heels. Lumbar curve maintained. Chest up. Core engaged. Butt goes back and down. Knees track in direction of feet. Grab that heavy box. Press through the heels. Full hip extension upon standing. Neutral head position.

Deadlift.
Come down to the box. Grab that box. Core engaged. Superman chest. Drive through the heels. Straight arms. Straighten the legs, then hip opens to full extension. Neutral head.

Clean and press and toss.
Wooomfh! Box lifted. Umpfh! Box overhead. Aurrgh! Box tossed in location.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running