Shoulder Surgery Recovery: What I’ve Been Eating

I was lucky enough to be able to eat right after surgery. I started with water and applesauce, and I progressed from there. The below is not an all-encompassing list of what I ate, but it is the major points of what I’ve been eating (trying to eat mostly healthy, going off memory below). I hear that what you eat can help you heal faster.

Surgery day: Water, applesauce, cauliflower pizza [106-113 lbs]

Day 1: Water, pita bread with egg, Factor meal (chicken with veggies), salmon with quinoa and asparagus [111-113 lbs]

Day 2: Water, pita bread with hummus, Factor meal (pork with veggies), fresh fruit, salad (and pizza) [111-113 lbs]

Day 3: Water, fruit, espresso, Special K protein cereal, Factor meal (salmon)  [110-112 lbs]

Day 4: Water, saltines, oatmeal with berries, Special K protein cereal, grilled cheese sandwich [108-111 lbs]

Day 5: Water, oatmeal with berries, Special K protein cereal, grilled cheese sandwich, chicken noodle soup with saltines [107-110 lbs]

Day 6: Water, Cliff bar, Sweetgreen salad (arugula, chickpeas, chicken, spicy broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, Parmesan shaves, and pesto vinaigrette; side of bread) [107-109 lbs, 106.8lbs after walk/bike workout]

I’m writing this for two reasons: (1) to keep my brain at peace with the weight and (2) to let other athletes who undergo surgery and gain weight from it know that they’re not alone. You can eat right and drink water and still be slow to lose that surgery weight gain. Fluids will slowly leave the space, swelling will go down, and you’re not fat and lazy.

Exercise and fun are on the horizon. I’m trying to keep a positive mental attitude. I’m imagining all the fun stuff I’ll be able to do in 6 weeks (take off sling), in 8 weeks (nice benchmark), in 3 months, in 6 months, and in 9 months. I need to go make a healing manifestation goal board again (collage of fun things to do when I’m healed).

I’ve been watching Creepshow on Amazon Prime, and I just watched Episode 6, “Skincrawlers,” which is about a miracle cure for fat loss. It’s definitely a reminder that the best way to maintain health is based on proper exercise and diet—not quick cures. Here’s a bit more about it: https://youtu.be/-hsLr1OMLBQ



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters