Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Days 10-14

Today is exactly two weeks post-op! I am able to telework, but I haven’t tried driving yet. I am completely off the oxycodone, but I take Tylenol and ice regularly. My weight today was back to 105.8lbs (pre-op range)! I poop regularly again (anyone who has been backed up knows the relief and joy of this simple function). I have been cleared to walk and bike, but I’m not supposed to lift or do any exercise that could put my repair at risk. My white steri-strips are now off, and I have four tiny scars.


I’m so happy I can bike and walk. I usually either walk 3-7 miles at a 3.0-4.0 mph pace or walk a mile to the gym, bike for 30-45 min, and walk home. I miss lifting, but Bam threatened that he wouldn’t take care of me if I messed up my repair. I won’t lift until I’m cleared to do so! 

Mentally, I’m telling all the food intake to help repair my shoulder. In my previous experience with injuries, it always helps to fuel myself for recovery. If I don’t, then I risk a longer recovery time or repeated injuries (I’m part of the repeat stress fracture, overuse injuries, and muscle imbalance clubs).

At this point, I feel comfortable creating a list of things that I found very good to have for shoulder surgery.

Clothing:
- Baggy clothes for surgery day (someone will help dress you; make it easy on them—I wore sweatpants, a baggy t-shirt with no bra, and slip-on shoes)
- Elastic waistband shorts, leggings, or trousers that are loose and easy to get on/off (I like my athletic shorts, and I have some outdoorsy/athleisure pants that are perfect)
- Shirts that you can either put on by bad arm-head-good arm method (I find a large collar/neck hole helps) OR tank tops with built in bras that you can pull up around your waist and then up around your torso (works if you’re on the thinner side) OR button-up shirts (I find the buttons can be hard to do with one hand, though) OR tube shirts (I don’t wear these, but I was told they were good)
- Zip-up bras (try before surgery—some can be too tight to do with one arm)—some people go bra free
- Camis with or without built in bras
- Shoelace-less shoes (I like my Toms; Bam has been tying my sneakers for my walks, though)
- Zip-up hoodies and cardigans or wraps (who likes being cold?)
- Oversized jacket or blanket or something (I used Bam’s huge jacket for a few walks before I could shower; I needed something to fit over the shoulder and sling)

Pain Management:
- Prescription drugs
- Baby aspirin (your doc may tell you to take this twice a day to avoid clots)
- Tylenol (pain reliever)
- Small bottles of water (to drink and to freeze for putting into your Iceman)
- Iceman cold therapy machine (worth $200!)
- Sling (they’ll give/sell you one before surgery so you can fit it appropriately)
- Stool softener and laxative (Powderlax and Dulcolax worked great for me)
- Extra pillows to prop your arm on while sitting or sleeping
- Recliner or adjustable bed to sleep in
- J-hook (for when you have tight neck/back muscles)

House Items:
- Step stool to help reach microwave, cupboards, or shelves (even if you’re not short, take into consideration that one arm will have to do all the lifting, and it might be easier to grab something at chest height rather than above your head)
- Pre-cooked or frozen prepared meals (I used both Freshly and Factor meals because I had discounts and my boyfriend doesn’t usually eat lunch—great for proper nutrition and ease of cooking/clean-up)
- A couch and entertainment of some sort (I didn’t have a couch or a television until Bam came to live with me to take care of me; it was really nice to relax with my ice machine, take some oxycodone, and fall asleep to some movie on days the pain was really bad)
- Some of your favorite healthy (or not) snacks, especially to eat if you’re feeling nauseous (I was happy to have Saltines on hand one morning, and my coworker bought me some sour candy because I love sour candy).
- Floss picks to floss with one hand.

Miscellaneous:
A live-in caretaker/friend/family member is TOP of my list. Not everyone has this luxury, and I am so grateful Bam came to live with me and help me through my shoulder dislocation, shoulder surgery, and first weeks of recovery. Apart from the basic driving me to and fro my surgery and post-op appointment, he has been able to help me in/out of the ice machine sleeve, remind me to take medications, made me food, gone grocery shopping, helped clean around the house, and organized my home.

Finally, good health and strength has helped me a lot so far. Core work has really paid off (for balance and for sitting up without the use of my arms)! I’m staying really positive and patient with my recovery. I’ve known people with failed surgeries because they try to go back to work too soon or with little/no physio time. I’ve known people who expect to be back 100% after three months. I’m giving it a year+!

Bam and Val are going climbing this summer in June/July, and I’m super envious (and jealous). He told me to ask the doc when I can climb again. I can’t wait to do alllll the fun activities again.

Aside from that, I got a lot of messages from people after surgery. I’m not usually a big texter or really good at responding to messages outside of work. I copied and pasted a lot of “Thank you! <3” replies, and I ignored a lot of phone calls and texts when I wasn’t feeling well. Perhaps letting your friends and family know you’ll be checking out from surgery + 2-8 weeks would be helpful (especially if you’re an introvert like me).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters