Triathlon Training: 3 Weeks to Go!

This summer I signed up for my first half Ironman-distance triathlon (actually, it's a 58 mile bike instead of a 56 mile bike). I signed up for the Patriots Half in Williamsburg, Virginia, which will take place on September 7th. I have three weeks to get myself ready mentally and physically.

My training has been a little all over the place in the past couple of months, due to getting sick twice and having a crash on my bicycle two weeks ago. My road rash has healed (mostly), so now I can get back in the pool. I would say this weekend has been a key training weekend for me. I finally wasn't sick or injured, and I had all the weekend to myself!

Thursday: Ran 2 miles. Swam 500yds easy, 10x50yds fast (15 seconds rest), 200yds easy. Ran 2 miles

Friday: Warm-up run 2 miles. Ran 3x1600m with 5 minutes rest after the first two, 1 minute rest after the final one, and 1x200m sprint to finish it off. Cool-down run 2 miles.

Saturday: Biked 70 miles. This is a new distance PR for me! Followed it with a 1 mile run...enough to get the legs loose.

Sunday: Ran 13.1 miles. Felt pretty tough after yesterday's ride, but I'm glad I ran today.

I will try to get in a longer BRiC next weekend (or "brick" if you call it that). What does BRiC stand for? I don't know. Bike-run-in-combination?

I just hope that (1) the water isn't below 72 degrees Fahrenheit, (2) the roads are dry for my bike ride, (3) I finish the race! I'm slightly worried about nutrition, as I've lost weight recently (gone from 100-103lbs to 97lbs (95lbs after a workout). Not good! I'm trying to keep up my weight, so we'll see how the rest of training goes...

Comments

  1. This kind of bike gives more aerodynamic advantage and exercises your hamstring efficiently, preparing your legs for the race. On the downside, many triathletes find it hard to control and they can be unconformable for long rides.

    Male Cycling Knicks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters