A Runner Who Doesn't Belong to the Running Community

Sometimes I feel like I don't belong to the running community.

Growing up, I was always decent at running, but I never looked like a runner. I was short and not very lean. I wore mis-matched clothes, baggy shorts and oversize t-shirts. I would tell myself that once I got a job and made my own money, then I would buy matching running outfits and look cute. One day. Maybe not cute, but at least I'd match. Over the course of time, I got faster, won races, and I fell in love with running.

In college, I continued to run with a team (and started to gain a little more muscle with lifting). I embraced short shorts and running in sports bras. I found that a good pair of socks could make my feet very happy. I tried new sports drinks, gels, and energy bars. I felt like I belonged to the running community! My teammates and I could talk about workouts, practices, muscles that ached, running injuries, and sit in ice baths together. We would spend vacations together, always making time for our workouts. I loved my team; they were like a family to me.

Now, after college, I'm trying to find a good running group. I've tried Meet-up groups, but I feel like a jerk when I go to those. I like to run a 7-8 minute mile for long runs and 6-7 minute mile for faster runs (sub 6 minute mile pace for speed work). Most running groups are 9-10 minute mile paces. I stopped going to group runs unless I knew someone faster is going to show up because I didn't want to run alone at a group run. I don't want to look like a show-off. I also don't want to slow down (it hurts to slow down sometimes) my run.

I also feel like other runners have tainted the purifying sport of running. Running should be bare, minimal. Toss on a pair of sneakers and run--simple. Now there are gadgets everywhere! Garmins and fancy GPS watches; fuel belts; hydration systems for your hand, waist, and back; numerous gels, blocks, beans, powders, and electrolyte tablets; compression or sweat-wicking socks, pants, shirts, and bands; and all kinds of ear-buds for music or apps for running. I'm not against these things entirely (some people "need" them to go for a run, some of the inventions are smart--water on a hot day is smart, but I'm still stubborn), but I miss the purity of the sport. Get out. Run. Return. Do core work. Shower. Done.

I've scouted out possible running partners at races. At races, however, the other women in my speed range become my competition. I haven't found someone yet who will enjoy the run/race with me and become my running buddy. Sometimes I wish a girl I finish with would ask me where I ran, what my schedule was like, and if I'd be interested in getting together for early Saturday morning runs followed by brunch. I know, I'm weird. I just miss my lady friends from the track/XC teams. I long to run with another woman and just run hard and chat about life and the purity of running.

I can't complain too much. I have found a few places where I feel like I belong. I love going to local running stores, picking up a pair of shoes I know I want (or asking for a stability shoe), and having someone understand what I need, no questions asked. They speak my language! I do have one good runny buddy, Jack (I met him through my boyfriend), but I know he slows down to run with me. We usually manage at least one run together per week (more when we're not busy with work/school). I partially credit my improved performances to runs with him. There ain't no easy days running with Jack (unless he's sick, but even then...). He can hold a 7 minute mile pace for 12-16 miles no problem (off the couch). He even boasted a 56-57 minute 10 miler this year. He paced me for a 6:45/mi pace 13.2 miles for a tempo run. With him, it's easy to run and talk about running or talk about science/engineering/technology. He accepts the fact that if I'm training for a race that I'll want to do a bit of speed work. He puts up with my runs, early and late, long and short, fast and slow. I am forever grateful to his girlfriend for letting me borrow him on last-minute long runs.

I don't need to be part of a large running community. I don't need a running physique, fancy gadgets, fuel belts, matching running outfits, weekly races, or a uniform to be a runner. Those things are all nice to have, but I don't need them. I am a runner, I enjoy the purity of running, and I have one running buddy. What more could one desire?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running