Fuel: Boyfriend's Chili


Back in college, one of my favorite bar food combinations was chili with a grilled cheese sandwich. I started ordering chili at every bar/restaurant I went to decide who made the best chili in town. I never made chili on my own (the closest I came was when I would heat up a can of chili to put over spaghetti, served with honey and cornbread, a staple in my first boyfriend's diet). It wasn't until I was living alone that I decided I needed to learn how to make chili (salads and sandwiches only go so far). In fact, that was the way I convinced my current boyfriend to hang out with me ("Um...I'm pretty new to this cooking thing. I manage to burn everything, even if I stay in the kitchen the whole time. I love chili, but I don't know how to make it. I've never seen anyone make chili. It must be difficult because it tastes so good. So, when can I come over to learn how to make chili?"). It worked.

My boyfriend makes a delicious vegetarian chili. I'm fairly certain this recipe is no big secret, but I wanted to record/share it here.

Ingredients:

  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 1 habenero pepper
  • 1 shallot
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 can of red beans
  • 1 can of light red beans (?)
  • 1 big can of stewed tomatoes
  • 1 sweet yellow onion
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 1 packet of McCormick's chili seasoning (or you can mix together your own)
  • 1 bag of meatless crumbles (we use Morning Star brand)


Directions:

  1. Chop up everything into bite-sized pieces.
  2. Drop everything into a big pot.
  3. Simmer forever/until it thickens.
  4. Serve hot (you can add cheese, onions, and/or avocado as toppings)
Okay, so maybe I still don't know how to really make this chili, but I've bought the ingredients! I think it's an unspoken agreement when I buy the ingredients that my boyfriend cooks it, so we can both eat it. I stir the pot once in a blue moon.

Speaking of his delicious recipes, I'll find out his spinach lasagna recipe and post that too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters