Boston Marathon Strategy

For the next week, any post is probably going to be related to the Boston Marathon.

The 10-day forecast shows that the weather might be slightly overcast with a high of 56 degrees Fahrenheit (just over 13 degrees Celsius) in Boston. Perfect.

I've stretched and iced my legs very well this week. I should do that kind of a thing more often. My leg is feeling better, but I'm still being cautious about it. I don't want to do anything crazy or unusual. The last "hard day" was done yesterday. I have a final 10 mile run, then the rest of my runs will be six miles or less. I'm hoping Jack has time to run with me, just so I have a feel for running with someone.

Pre-Race:
2100 - Go to bed.
0600 - Wake up. Brush teeth. Comb hair (note: bring extra hair ties). Get dressed (be warm). Eat a solid breakfast (oatmeal, banana, chocolate, PB). Drink some water. Walk to the buses from Club Quarters.
0630-0700 - Board bus. Ride to Hopkinton. Relax. Listen to music or read a book. Eat something at the Athletes' Village. Sip water. Walk around a little. Light stretching.
0935 - Leave Athletes' Village  for the corrals. Drop off bag on the way (with other warm-up/post-race clothing items).

Race Strategy:
1020 - Starting in corral 1, wave 2. This is thanks to me putting in a 3:20 marathon vice my 3:11 marathon. Silly me...forgetting I ran a marathon. Anyways, I'm in corral 1!! Yay!

Note to self: DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT TRY TO CATCH UP TO WAVE 1. There will be other runners in wave 2 trying to break 3:10 as well. Starting off slower is easier without all those quick sub-3:00 marathoners around you. Relax. It's a race, but your clock just starts later.

Miles 1-6
Start slow (7:20-7:30/mi) for the downhills. Remember how this helped in 2009? Yes. It will help again. Maintain this pace, even if you are being passed.

Miles 6-16
Find my marathon pace (7:10-7:20/mi) for the flats. Run tangents. Begin sipping water/Gatorade every other mile. Take a non-caffeine gel at mile 10-13. Reach mile 13.1/halfway point at 1:35:00.

Miles 17-21
Run the hills with a steady pace (aim for 7:12/mi). Pretend to climb up them using a rope. Lift from the knees. Float up the hill. Small steps up the hill. Nature's staircase. Use the downhill to stretch out my legs. Don't worry about the Garmin. Remember that "nothing hurts more than a broken heart" and to run for God's glory and to impress Rob. If a kid is handing out orange slices, then get one! Take a gel with caffeine at mile 18-20. Reach mile 21 at 2:33:00.

Miles 21-25
Pick it up a little (7:00-7:15/mi). Steady pace. Enjoy the adrenaline. Reach mile 23 at 2:47:00.

Miles 25-26.2
See the Citgo sign. Begin the hardest mile. Run fast. Think fast. Think sexy. Smile to relax.

Baseball
I'm very excited for baseball season this year. Part of me cheers for the local team (Washington Nationals) and part of me cheers for the Red Sox. I will always love the Red Sox because they were the first time I felt like I knew. My family never watched sports (sometimes we'd watch Chelsea or Manchester United, as my mother is Irish and seems to like football), so I never had a team to cheer. The first guy I dated (at age 19, mind you) introduced me to baseball. This boy, Brendan, told me of the rivalry between the Red Sox and the Yankees. He talked me through a few games, explaining everything. It was more than a "fat white man's sport" as I had always thought of it (it used to look so boring). Brendan would get so upset if the Red Sox lost. Even if the Sox were doing poorly, I would get excited for Coco Crisp when he made a good play; he was my favorite player at the time. I really enjoy watching baseball now. Go Red Sox! Go Nats! I'm hoping Rob and I can go to a game this year...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters