Race Recap: Mother's Day Four Miler

Today I ran in Potomac River Running Store's Mother's Day 4 Miler. The race was held near Baron Cameron Park in Reston, VA.

This was my first race on this course and my second four miler. My goal was to break 26:00 (my previous PR was 25:01 at Four Courts Four Miler). I knew I should break 25:41 (which is what I ran my "tempo" four mile last time).

Prep:
For the past two weeks, I've been training with Capital Area Runners under the coaching of Coach George Buckheit. I'm still lifting three days a week, but I'm not focusing too much on huge gains (I keep it heavy, but I don't push the volume or intensity unnecessarily). I also added planks/push-ups back into my core routine, as I have been doing more concentric/eccentric movements and neglecting isometric movements.

On the downside, this past week I worked with some isocyanantes and accidentally got exposed (somehow I found chemical rashes on my arms, abs, chest, and nose even though I was wearing long sleeves and working under the fume hood). Being sensitized to isocyanantes is not good. I had trouble breathing for a few days, so I nixed my plan to work with them on Friday because I wanted to enjoy my weekend. I'm going to find a better respirator too.

Pre-Race:
I ran an easy hour yesterday on the C&O Canal. I had a huge earth bowl salad from SweetGreen for lunch and a tall espresso frappe (guilty pleasures). For dinner, I got some ox tail, mac-n-cheese, and rice from the Whole Foods hot bar and even had a spoonful of ice cream. I drank some water before heading to bed. I had difficulty sleeping last night, and I woke up once to think I ran a 5:55/mile pace at the race but didn't do well.

Finally, when it was time to get ready to race, I ate half a banana and drank some water. I drove to the race location, but I had to do two loops before finally parking near the soccer fields (one lot was full, and another stoplight was broken/wouldn't turn green for crossing traffic). I did a gentle jog, talked with Alina and George, and jogged a little more and did some leg swings for a warm-up. I did a few butt kicks and high knees with short strides. The starting line was packed, and I hopped into place a minute before the start.

Race:
Mile 1: 6:11?
I forgot to clear out my watch after yesterday's run, and I didn't realize this until 20 seconds into the race. The first part of the mile is crowded and downhill, then it changes into a gradual uphill. After "popping the top" of this hill, you've completed the first mile. I settled into a pace and had two people to run with--another woman and a younger boy (who was ahead of me for about 2.75 miles).

Mile 2: 6:31
I was surprised to see this mile was so slow. It didn't feel particularly fast, but it also didn't feel this slow. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably a result of running a 6:11 on the first mile. This mile felt fairly flat, but I remember some downhill. It was great to see Susanna, Cheryl, and George cheering along the course! I forgot what a difference it can make to have someone shout some encouragement!

Mile 3: 6:13
I felt pretty good about this mile. I think I remember rolling hills (a rolling hill?) along this section and a great downhill of which to take advantage. We were getting close to the soccer fields, which meant close to the finish! The other woman and I pulled ahead of the boy in this mile. I was happy to see a 6:13, and it gave me a boost.

Mile 4: 5:53?
Having only a mile left, with Susanna and George shouting from the sidelines and through the trees, I picked up the pace. I tried to control my form, especially on the long downhill before turning back into the park. There is a slight uphill coming into the park, but it feels great to have the finish line within view.

Post-Race:
I immediately ate a banana and a granola bar and washed it down with water. I went on a cool-down run around the soccer fields, which felt great for the legs. At the awards ceremony, I got a $100 gift certificate! Everyone received flowers (carnations?) at the finish line. I was happy with this race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running