Two Days Until Patriots Half: Race Plan!

I always write up race plans, even if the plan has been on my mind for weeks/days. I think it is important to write down goals (it gives a little more sense of commitment)! My knee started feeling better on Tuesday (my running buddy came back into town; maybe he is good luck)! I'm still taking it easy, though, and I just want to FINISH this triathlon...no need for last minute speed work! I was able to get in a bike, two swims, and a few runs this week. I feel ready!

Goal A: Finish!
Goal B: Finish under 6:30!

Friday To-Do List:
- Sleep in
- Pack, buy more nutrition (Gatorade, energy bar, gels)
- Travel
- Do a quick run through the transitions (10 minute swim, 10 minute bike, 10 minute run) and make sure I have everything I need.
- Race packet pick-up/information meeting
- Salmon for dinner!

Saturday: Race Day Plan!
0530 - wake up, eat some oatmeal with banana, drink some Gatorade/water
0600 - be at race site, set-up transition site
0708 - Ready, steady, go!!

Swim: 1.2 miles.
Goal: Swim under 00:53 (2:30/100yd pace).
I've been able to swim 1.2 miles under 50 minutes (closer to 40-45 minutes) in the pool, but with it being an open water swim with other people and a current, I'm expecting something slower (50-60 minutes). I get a little panicky in open water, and I'm terrible at sighting, so it might be just over 1 hour. The goal is to find a steady pace and enjoy the swim. Get loose.

T1: The transition is a little long, from what I read, about 400-600 meters. Take off goggles and swim cap on the run. Be careful where I step (don't want cuts!). Toss on a bike jersey with snacks in the pockets. Sip some Gatorade. Put on socks, bike shoes, helmet, sunglasses, and grab my bike.

Bike: 58 miles.
Goal: Bike under 03:30 (16.6 mph)
Yes, that's not a typo! Instead of the half Ironman bike distance of 56 miles, this triathlon is 58 miles. If I don't get a mechanical (which, then I'm screwed!), and if I don't crash, then I think I can maintain a 17mph pace easily (I can do 18-20 mph, but I want to save some for the run). I want to start off easy (first 10-15 miles at 16-17mph pace) and pick it up after that. Finish 16oz. Gatorade and 0.5-1 liters of water. Take a Gu halfway through.

T2: Re-rack my bike. Take off helmet and sunglasses. Take off bike shoes and socks. Put on new socks and running shoes. Remove jersey/put on running shirt and bib number (race belt). Sip some water. Get to running!

Run: 13.1 miles.
Goal: Run under 1:58 (9 minute miles).
Take the first 5k easy. Let the body adjust. Take in water/Gatorade (alternate each mile). Have something to eat at the 4mile, 8mile, and 10 mile marks (something light, oranges maybe). Keep moving!

1400 - Hopefully be done by now! Time to shower, eat some real food, go to Young Veteran's Brewery grand opening, and meet up with Kat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters