Race Recap: Tough Mudder Mid-Atlantic

Pre-Race
I went on a friend's birthday wine tour/cabin in the woods time with some friends all Saturday, 20 April. It was awesome. I had a lot of wine, cheese, bread, and other food to "refuel" myself from the Boston Marathon.

On the morning of Tough Mudder, Sunday, 21 April, I dragged myself out of my warm sleeping bag (I did make sure to go to bed when I was getting tired, even though I love bonfires and s'mores) to drive to a large field to park my car ($10). I met up with our group of 16, and we all hopped on the shuttle buses together for the 30 minute ride to the actual race location.

Once there, getting our numbers and being marked up was super easy. Show your ID, know your number, and you're set.

A word about the weather. To me, anything below 70 degrees can feel a "little chilly." It was high 40's/low 50's that morning, with a chilly wind that would come and go. I made the mistake of running in an oversized tech tee (a shirt I got from a race, and I didn't care if it got muddy). I should have worn a long-sleeved shirt.

Since I ran a marathon six days before, I was (a) still recovering, (b) underestimating the 10-12 mile distance, (c) underestimating how cold 50's can feel (it's great weather for a running race).

Race
To start, we had to climb over a wall to be put in a pit with other runners with our start wave. We stood/took a knee there while we were being "motivated" and talked to before the race. I always love the National Anthem, though, and I'm glad we did that before the race. We also paid our respects to the military (Tough Mudder is a sponsor for the Wounded Warrior Project). Awesome. We took an oath at the beginning too. We had to understand it was not a race but a challenge, and we wouldn't let another Mudder behind. We also learned to hold up the "X" sign for a medic when someone was hurt.

We started out together, did an obstacle, regrouped, ran to the next obstacle, waited in line, did the obstacle, regrouped...et cetera for the first 6 miles, then we split into a few groups. Why? It was cold, and some of us wanted to keep running to stay warmer. It was agreed that this made sense.

The course was nice and hilly (I LOVE hills, even if my running buddy Jack is better at them than I am). Of course, there was a lot of mud. Somehow, I kept getting rocks in my shoes and under my socks. I should have worn tighter socks at least. My friends were nice and would stop while I took off my shoes, dumped rocks, and retied my shoes.

As for the obstacles, it was pretty much consistent with: crawl over/under/through this, get wet, get muddy, or do this buddy exercise. Some of the terrain felt like an obstacle, and I liked that. I don't mind getting muddy, dirty, or wet, but I do hate being cold. The wind made everything worse.

I enjoyed the high jump into muddy water, buddy carry, Everest (like climbing up a half pipe), the slip & slide, and a few of the wall climbs. Climbing skills and obstacle course skills came in useful, but I definitely needed some friends to help me over some obstacles (Everest, the start of the hill made of bales of hay, one of the log climbs, and some of the muddy walls). I'm glad I'm a runner; it made the hills easier. There were some solid hills!

I really enjoyed the slip and slide. I felt like a speeding bullet! I've never gone that fast before on my belly!

I hated the Arctic Enema. I was cold before, during, and freezing after. I heard some people got hypothermia that day. Luckily, my friend Kristen got me a space blanket (which I kept for miles to stay warm). My buddy Mark helped me mentally (somehow he always seems to be smiling and cheery). Kristen and Kara were my race buddies, and it was nice to see them after each obstacle. We were able to talk about being cold and miserable together.

I skipped the electrocution obstacles. I'm not stupid. I've had trouble with my heart (and head) in the past (or so the doctor told me), and I'm not going to test that...even a little bit at all. No thank you.

I was never so happy to finish a race/challenge than Tough Mudder. It sucked, I thought, because of the cold. I didn't even want the free beer at the end. I just wanted to change into dry clothing (yep, no shower--had enough of water) and drive home...which is what I did. Oh, and eat dinner.

Post-Race
We got our orange headbands, took some photos, and I took the shuttle to my car to make the drive back home. I got home when it was dark, so I can only imagine how late everyone else stayed!

Here is a photo of me going through the toll-booth. I was wondering how he knew I did a race, but then I looked into the mirror and saw all the dirt (forgot I was wearing my headband) and my muddy-messy hair. I even still had remnants of my number on my face. Will I do another one? Yes. Probably. Maybe. If it's warmer outside or if I magically begin to like being cold.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running