Race Recap: Boston Marathon


I am deeply saddened by the bombings at the Boston Marathon. I take it as a personal attack. The Boston Marathon is my favorite marathon in my favorite city. Anyone who targets the marathon, the runners, the spectators, or Patriot's Day weekend is an enemy of mine. We will find out who did this, and they will be punished.

My birthday and the Boston Marathon were on the same weekend this year, so I made the weekend a big celebration for my birthday and for Patriot's Day weekend.

Pre-Race (All Weekend)
On Friday, my boyfriend and I went to a Nationals baseball game. After I learned the rules of baseball, I started to enjoy all baseball games. After leading the entire game, the Nats lost to the Braves in the final innings. On the upside, I drank 1.5 liters of water that day, found some tasty jerk chicken and rice and beans for dinner, and ate my first curly "W" pretzel.

On Saturday, we flew up to Boston. After checking into our hotel, we walked to Little Italy for dinner. I love Italian food (when it's real Italian food). I ate most of the bread at the table, and the restaurant gave us more! I drank two glasses of delicious red wine with my shrimp and vegetable risotto. For the record, this was my first time having real risotto! For dessert, I ate a large chocolate chip cookie from Panera while we checked out Boston's historic streets.

On Sunday, I did a quick 18 minute shake-out run while watching the 5k. I think the Boston Commons area is one of the most beautiful areas for a shake-out run. We went to the expo to pick up my race packet and bib number. It was very crowded, so we made our way around the room for some quick samples and purchases. My boyfriend bought me a Boston hoodie (yaay) and a Boston pint glass (double yaay). After dropping off our gear in the hotel room, we took a taxi to Fenway for my first Fenway experience.

The Red Sox are my baseball team. They always will be. It was great to watch them play inside Fenway on a birthday/marathon weekend. The weather was perfect. I bought a hot chocolate (which was served in a commemorative travel mug), a large pretzel, and water. It was a thrilling game---almost a no-hitter! I was very happy that the Red Sox won.

After the game, I had half a blueberry beer at Beer Works and went back to the hotel for dinner. As planned, I had salmon, vegetables, and mashed potatoes with water. The brownie was tempting, but I resisted it to be safe.

On Monday, I made my way to the buses that brought us runners to Athlete's Village. The logistics that go into making the Boston Marathon run so smoothly are amazing. There were enough port-a-johns that I was able to go three times before the race began. Bag drop-off was quick and simple. Finding the starting line was simple. I only wish that people would actually listen to the times that it tells them to go to the buses or head to the starting line. That way, people in wave one won't have to be stuck in line (at buses, port-a-johns, or trying to get to their starting corral) behind people in waves two or three. Just my opinion.

Race
I started in wave two, corral one. I committed myself to run a 3:10 that day. Go big or go home. I wanted to break my marathon PR (ran at Boston in 2009) of 3:10:58. My training runs were much stronger and faster. I knew I could do this.

As far as the course, Boston is tricky--downhill, flat, a few hills, downhill, flat. After five miles into the race, I threw out my pace plan (see previous posts about Boston strategy--hah). I tend to do this in races. Race day is race day. My body takes over!

I started the first 5k a little too quickly. I kept telling myself to slow down, but that didn't work. I felt light, smooth, and quick. After four miles of this, the course flattened out a little. I told myself to get in a 7:00-7:10 groove. I started sipping water and Gatorade, switching each mile. Small sips save lives. I love that Boston has Gatorade and water every mile (and a Powerbar gel station about halfway through).

I remember feeling a little concerned at mile 10, as my pace was pretty solid in the low 7:00/mile pace. I kept on through Wellesley College, through the screaming girls in the Tunnel of Love. At the 13-15 mile mark, I started feeling a little drained, but then I heard a friend shout my name from the sidelines! It had helped everyone was shouting, "Go Red Sox!" as I passed (I was wearing a Red Sox t-shirt), but hearing my name from a familiar face gave me a solid boost. I took out a gel and slowly sipped it down with water for the next few miles.

At the Newton hills, I was ready. I had already caught up to wave 1, and I was constantly passing runners. I found two other runners (one being a female also from D.C.) to chase up the hills. I felt strong. I love Heartbreak Hill. It's the last hill, and everyone knows it because people are shouting about it, holding up signs, and encouraging us onward. After that, I knew I could keep up the pace. I was 21 miles into the race, so there was no letting up now. I had less than a 10k to run.

I forgot how downhill the last part of Boston is. My legs were beginning to feel the pounding, but my heart desired a sub 3:10 marathon. I kept doing the math in my head, trying to figure out how fast I would have to run to break 3:10. At a 5k to go, I got an extra boost. If I ran an 8 minute mile pace, then I would still come in around 3:10! I pushed the pace past the stadium and to the Citgo sign. One thing I did not do for my first Boston marathon was mark any catching features. This time, though, I knew the Citgo sign meant one mile until the finish. I surged up the small incline at the Citgo sign. I told myself to run a sub-7:00 minute mile for the final mile. I can do anything for one mile. Let's go.

I remember having my eyes on a man with tattoos. He was from my corrall. I tried to keep pace with him. We made the final turn onto Boylston Street. I told myself to keep running hard. I passed the 26 mile mark. The final .2 miles always feels long. I kept sprinting, but I couldn't keep up with the older man. He finished right before me (I looked up his bib number to discover he ran 7 seconds faster than I did). I was still elated. My eyes saw the finish clock as I raised my hands while crossing the final timing mat. 3:25:14. I knew to subtract 20 minutes, as I started 20 minutes after the clock began. I was so happy (and sore).

Post Race
I stumbled through the finish line refreshments, grabbing a water and a food bag (I couldn't get to the Gatorade or the Powerbars, and I wanted out of the crowd). I was dazed as I walked around looking for Rob. I found my college marathon coach, so I chatted for a bit. Rob found me, and he helped me walk a mile back to our hotel, packed my bags while I showered, and directed me through the T and to the airport, where we heard about the bad news.

The thing about marathons is needing to refuel after the race in a timely manner. The sooner, the better, in my opinion. Rest is important as well. Time to get that done...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Days 6-9