Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Physio Update:

Yesterday, I had my third physical therapy session. I’m happy with my progress so far—increasing my range of motion slowly with the pulley and table slides! Dr. Dan added some dowel exercises (I use an old shower curtain rod at home). The exercise looks like a bench press, but my non-op arm is doing all the lifting and the op-shoulder is along for the ride. At home, I like to do a set of 20 pulley pull-ups, 20 pulley punches, 10 floor dowel bench presses, 20 table slides, and 20 scapula squeezes followed by a set of 30 body weight squats and 10 lunges (front + back, each side). I try to do three full sets at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with one set here and there throughout the day.


Here is an image of my shoulder flexion progress from day one of physical therapy to now (14 days of progress):

Exercise Update:

I think the lunges, squats, and banded side steps help with blood flow and getting my heart rate up/allowing me better range of motion. I think I overdid the bike intervals + leg press on Monday—my legs were dead for the indoor bike yesterday! I’ll slowly progress the weight with bodyweight, bands, and lighter dumbbells, but I’m SO STOKED to be lifting a bit. Even Bam notices me all excited after gym time. He went climbing at Great Falls on Sunday, so I got to walk/hike in a new location (Potomac Heritage Trail), which was good for my mind.

I heard I can start some walk/jogs after my sling is off! I’ll just have to be careful. I’m excited for that. I’ve been having off-and-on toe/superior-anterior foot pain since December. I took most of February and March to slowly get up some miles (and I was doing okay in April, when I dislocated my shoulder). After surgery, though, I started having some foot pain on long and fast walks. I watched a few videos on what else might be the issue, so I’ve been walking in my Altra shoes (bigger toe box) and doing some toe and foot arch exercises. It seems to be helping. My feet are growing, so I may need to go up half a size in my sneakers now. I’ve been a runner for two decades now, so it’s expected that I may need a bigger shoe.

Work Update:

I think it’s good I’m not going into work as often. I can definitely feel the urge to move things around in the lab when I am there, which is NOT GOOD. Hopefully after my June 3rd appointment I’ll be able to be disciplined enough to ask for help. Asking for help (along with patience) is a weakness of mine that I need to work on. I’m trying to be good about supporting my elbow when I type (when I’m permitted to take off the sling momentarily), but it’s hard when I get excited about writing something for work.

Home/Daily Activity:

As far as the daily grind, I am able to make (premixed Kodiak Cakes) pancakes, sandwiches, salads, and all the other easily assembly stuff for myself lately. I’m better about taking things in and out of the microwave without spilling them too. Bam does all the real cooking, though! We’ve figured out things I can make on my own, but I’m still espresso-less and latte-less Anna (I need two hands for the tamping and the milk frothing process). That’s okay, though, as I’ve been scheduling naps for myself daily. SLEEP IS KEY TO RECOVERY. I’m still washing my hair with one hand. I can’t wait to really get in there and wash my hair with both hands again. I still haven’t driven my car, so Bam drives me everywhere. I’m able to bring Duke for walks as long as he doesn’t pull. Picking up his poop is a bit of a challenge (I loop his leash around my good arm and pick up the poop with the same arm).

I can now tie my own shoes (as long as I remember to do it before putting on my sling)!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters