Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Weeks 3-5

Week 3 was interesting. Although I felt ready in week 2 to start moving about, walking and biking, I think I pushed it a bit too hard (I had a great 7 mile walk with a few sub-13:00 miles in there/fast walk for me and some interval bike rides), and week 3-4 was exhausting. I felt like I hit a wall. Everything was hard. Staying awake for 8 hours was tiring. I napped a lot. I was teleworking, but my mind still felt clouded while reading, and writing e-mails with one hand felt incredibly frustrating. I couldn’t get in a routine. I felt like everything was bothering me—from having my house re-arranged by my boyfriend, to not having appetite, to not being able to cook my own food. I normally woke up at 5am before surgery, but I was waking up at 7am or later and still feeling tired. I had some aches that I took Tylenol for, and I iced a little. What felt like deep bone pain was still lingering. Sleeping wasn’t as easy, since I was now off the oxycodone (which knocks me out). Week 3 was blah. Patience is not a strength of mine, so I started meditating.

Last week, at the beginning of week 4 post-surgery, I finally had my first physio/physical therapy appointment. Dr. Dan at The Jackson Clinic’s Skyline location is a highly recommended physical therapist, especially for shoulders. He’s familiar with many of Dr. Nagda’s patients, and the location is just over a mile from my apartment (so I can walk/not rely on anyone for a ride).

Dr. Dan moved my arm gently, which felt great after being in a sling for so long. He gave me some exercises with a pulley and table slides. No arm pendulums for me (I had to do those for physical therapy the first time I dislocated my shoulder; they feel great for those who are prescribed them). My Buy Nothing Group neighbor had given me a post surgery shirt (it buttons up on the sleeves and sides) and a pulley, so I was all set to start my exercises at home. 

I did three sets of 20 pulley up/down movements, 20 scapula squeezes, 20 table slides. I did this routine twice a day and fit in sets of 10-20 throughout the day when I could get in/out of the sling (about 10-12 sessions in a day, some short, some longer). I tried to ice after a longer session or when I got sore.

I started listening to some of Alan Watts’ recordings. I added more deep breathing exercises. I know I need to be patient.

Last Friday, my boyfriend dropped me off at work in the morning, and I was able to walk home from work (13+ miles on an overcast day). It was really relaxing to walk along the C&O Canal for about six miles. On Sunday, I did my first hour-long indoor bike ride, which made me feel pretty good. I’m getting antsy not running or lifting, but the physio exercises were good. I try to protect my sling from getting too sweaty when I workout by putting small gym towels between me and it, and I try to dry it out at home by taking it off, showering, and changing into a “normal” (no pillow, less supportive) sling for a bit (and going back into the pillow sling for bedtime). If I had to go back to week one, I would get two slings—one for working out and one for casually being alive/sleeping/not gross.

I’m on my period this week, so that’s been a slight extra challenge. I’m glad it’s now and not the first week after surgery. Yay for Thinx and super tampons. I thought I would try to go into the office this week (have my boyfriend drive me again), but I decided against lugging tampons, my laptop, my notes, and everything into and out of the office. It sounds silly, but the extra hassle (and having to pull up my pants with one arm at work and possibly/accidentally get blood everywhere I don’t want it to be) didn’t sound worth it. I’m a really heavy flow type, so...yeah. TMI. Usually running helps with my cramps, so I’m hoping cycling helps too.

Today begins week 5 post-surgery! I had my second physio appointment with Dr. Dan today. He moved my arm again. I’m still stiff, but that’s a good thing. After all, I’m trying to tighten up the shoulder to prevent further arm dislocations. I got approved to do some squats, lunges, side steps with bands, and any lifting with my right arm that does not put my left arm into a compromising position or cause me to fall. I’m so happy about that! I added a new movement on the pulley system to my routine: punch-outs, exactly like they sound. I got to do squats, lunges, and banded side steps between arm movements. Yesssss!! Afterwards, I got myself a green tea matcha latte in celebrating making it halfway (or more) through sling time.

Unrelated, but Apple gave me three free months of Apple Arcade. They have a new version of Oregon Trail on there. It’s amazing. I like it. It gives me something to do while I’m still healing. 10/10 recommendation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters