Training: Speed Bumps

I'm sick. Again. I swear, I've never been so sick in my entire life than I have been in the past three years. This is ridiculous! Maybe I need to move out west...

Training has been going well lately. Last Tuesday I did one of my go-to workouts: 1600m, 1200m, 800m, 400m.

1600m - 6:04
Rest - 2:00
1200m - 4:30
Rest - 1:30
800m - 2:58
Rest - 1:00
400m - 1:24

I like this workout because it's easy to think about mentally (4 laps, each repeat is one lap less than the last), it's quick/speedy, and it's a good gauge for myself when trying to figure out a mile pace. Although all my times are slower than I'd have liked (by about 4 seconds each), I'm still pretty happy with the workout.

I'm in the middle/end of week 5 of Todd Durkin's IMPACT! Body Plan. It's a 10 week program that works for me (this is my second execution of the program). I can feel myself getting a little stronger every week.

Unfortunately, being sick is a little speed bump I wasn't expecting this week. I had the sniffles last week and a sore throat on Tuesday afternoon. By Wednesday, I felt nauseous and had a foggy head, but I still went to work on Thursday. After work, I was exhausted and sick, so I canceled my workout and took Friday off work. Part of training that I used to be so stupid/stubborn about was taking rest days, but now I realize rest days are important for recovery and getting stronger.

I'm frustrated with being sick because...
(a) I really want to lift legs today
(b) I really want to run a good race on Sunday

On Sunday I have the Race for the Parks 10k. I want to run under 40 minutes, but I would like my full lung capacity and clear nostrils for that! No matter how much I say, "I'll just run it for fun," I know deep down in my racing spirit, that I'm going to run my hardest. I may not get a PR, but I'm going to know I could have run a faster race that day.

Here's to eating pho, drinking hot water, and getting healthy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters