Book Review: It Starts With Food

In November, I read It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. I had bought this book earlier this summer, but I am just now getting into reading it. It's an informative book promoting a healthy, clean approach to eating (The Whole30). Another resource is their website: http://www.whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/

The Hartwigs explain their rules for good food (what your food should/should not do to your body), which foods are less healthy (and WHY), which foods are more healthy, how to complete The Whole30 (30 days or more of eating protein, vegetables, and some fruit), and even has some recipes. They do not give a 30 day exact meal plan, nor do they tell you how many calories to eat each day or to weigh your food or to weigh yourself.

They promote educating yourself by reading their findings (and even suggest to read opposing viewpoints), read other people's success stories (what worked/didn't work for them), and to self-experiment. I am glad they mentioned that not all people will have immediate, miraculous results. Not all people will lose weight or be "cured" of their problems. Some people will have to eat strictly for 60, 90, or more days--it didn't take them one day to get unhealthy, so it won't take one day to get healthy.

Now, I will warn you, the book kinda reads like one of those advertising websites or commercials, "Hey! You have this problem! I can help you, but let me first explain some stuff..." Of course, I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to fitness, and I love learning about what might be affecting my body. Most people can just skip chapters straight to being told what to eat/how to eat.

I'm going to try The Whole30, because I think it sounds like a reasonable, everyday diet (in the sense of a permanent way of eating, not a short term fix to lose weight). In fact, tonight I made one of the quick meals. Don't judge a recipe by its simplicity. This was cheap, quick, and delicious!

Thai Basil Beef
- Brown 1-2 lbs. of ground beef in a skillet (remove grease if it is not high quality beef).
- Add 1 chopped red bell pepper and a small bag of green beans.
- Add 1 tbsp of lime juice and 1 tbsp of coconut aminos (I found them near the Asian specialty foods/sauces in Whole Foods).
- Serve. Flavor with lime juice.
- (I'm going to try some with an egg tomorrow morning for breakfast!)

Basic Rules of Meal Planning
- eat three meals a day
- each meal should have a high quality protein (about 1-2 palm-sizes), filling the rest of the plate with good vegetables (no potatoes, though), and 1 or more good fats (they give you a list)
- no snacks, but 1-2 pieces of fruit a day are okay
- no eating meals "on the go"--sit down and don't eat with electronics distracting you
- eat your first meal within 1 hour of waking
- no meals too close to bed time
- no weighing myself (yikes!!)
- no alcohol
- no added sugar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters