Not My First Rodeo

On November 19th, I got my second shoulder surgery. This time, it was on my right shoulder (the other one). When I was in the final stage of rehab for my left shoulder, I was dealing with more noise and pain on my right shoulder. I noticed it more with overhead and pushing movements, so Dr. Nagda recommended a MRI.

The MRI showed that I could possibly have some labrum issues, a full-thickness tear of the supraspinatus, a hooked acromion, and a surface tear on another rotator cuff. The torn suprasinatus looked like it had retracted back to the AC joint. This was bad, so Dr. Nagda got me into surgery before Thanksgiving.


Recovery Weeks 1-2

Today marks two weeks post-surgery!

Surgery was great. I went to a surgical center instead of a hospital. The staff was great. Getting my IV in was a bit of a task (small hand veins), but the (anesthesiologist) doctor came out herself and did it in seconds. I remember being wheeled back to surgery, and I woke up like 3.5 hours later. Dave came to pick me up, and I was proud of being able to help navigate us home.

The first week was just as painful as last time. I wasn’t very good at pain management planning, so my first OxyContin were taken a little after the nerve block wore off. I started getting cocky this time, taking it every four hours while NOT getting bloated like last time. I felt so good that I was fine with Dave inviting people over for Thanksgiving. I had pre-ordered a meal from Whole Foods to make life easier.

At my first appointment after surgery, I saw Dr. Nagda. He said I didn’t have much tendon to work with, and it was a pretty bad tear (basically my hooked bone shredded my rotator cuff). The photos looked like my shoulder was a mess. Even the guy who normally is in surgery for implants and such looked at it on the screen and was like, “What did this girl do? She’s only 33?” Dr. Nagda recommended I stay in the sling for 5 more weeks, and we would try to start physical therapy six weeks after surgery (give it time to heal). He would check my movement at 3 weeks, though, and if I was getting too tight I would begin physical therapy sooner. On the plus side, my labrum was fine and didn’t need repair!

When Thanksgiving rolled around, I felt fine right up until about 30 minutes before dinner. My stomach started to hurt. I figured maybe it was just gas and would pass. I was wrong. I had dinner but no pie. I felt progressively worse—I basically ushered our guests home. I started being unable to stand up straight when walking. Dave said maybe we should walk to see if that helped any gas to pass. I would make it a few steps, then sit on the ground in pain. This continued for our very small block walk. Dave started getting concerned it could be appendicitis or something (I was at a 9/10 pain). I argued it might be constipation and wanted to wait until the morning.

The next few days were spent trying to get a bowel movement while also not taking painkillers. I should have weaned off them, but I felt terrible not being able to poop. I wasn’t bloated—just in pain. I was having pathetic bowel movements. I tried the same thing as last time—stool softener, PowderLax, water, walking, belly massage.

I began to feel a bit better over five days. I was able to take some walks to take my mind off the shoulder pain. Painkillers are like a double edged sword—deal with constipation while taking them and no shoulder pain or don’t take them and deal with shoulder pain but no constipation. I finally had enough bowel movements to think any obstruction had passed. Okay, enough poop talk.

I’m able to walk about 4-5 miles at a time now. Nature and sun make me feel a bit better. Sometimes I walk 1.5 miles to the gym, bike, lift what I can, and walk home. Those days feel good to get movement and see some sun. It’s weird having short, cold days this time. I liked the spring and summer—warm, easier to dress for, more pleasant to be outside for more hours. I was happy that someone at the gym came up to chat a bit yesterday; I miss social interaction at times and talking about working out.

I tripped (but didn’t fall) on a walk the other day, but I think my shoulder was fine after a few minutes of it hurting. Last night, I had a dream that a rabid squirrel jumped from a ceiling fan onto my shoulder. I was screaming and trying to get it off without getting bitten by it. I moved my shoulder in reality, which hurt SO MUCH. I woke up immediately. I’m hoping I didn’t do any damage. It hurts a bit more than usual this morning. I just took some Tylenol in hopes of it easing some pain.

This time, I gave myself two weeks of sick leave. I remember last time trying to work too soon and it being a mix of sitting on the computer, icing, feeling tired, being unable to focus, sitting in brain fog. I figured this time it’s best to go back when I’m feeling a bit more rested and on a routine. Dave is back to taking class in-person, so I don’t have him around all day this time to help. We’re both trying to find a routine this week.

All in all, it’s a similar experience to last time. I have some bruising on my chest somehow that I didn’t get last time. I don’t feel as tight, but I feel the amount of pain in the same (maybe more because I didn’t take the painkillers as long). I was surprised at the stomach/digestive system cramps and how bad they got this time. Sleeping is still just as difficult/uncomfortable.

Good (new) purchases this time: I’m glad for all the things I bought last time, but this time I added a few more. These include a second sling (to wear if my other one is wet or needs cleaning), a shower back scrubber thing, shower gel in a pump container, a pair of sweats to wear over gym clothing for the outside walk, more spaghetti strap workout tank tops, and my bf’s hoodie to wear inside/while icing.

Wish I would have purchased: a new couch. I really liked our $200 couch that I had for my previous surgery. We ended up moving over the summer, and it wouldn’t fit into the stairwell, so we had to butcher it. It is now a boneless couch—cushions that sit on the floor. This makes it harder to sit down and stand up at times. I like to remind myself it keeps me in shape, but I sometimes need to sit upright to feel better. I luckily have my art chair/desk (aka telework location), but finding comfort this time is harder without somewhere to really sit and relax.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters