Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Weeks 6-9

Medium Risk Protocol:



I thought I would be sling free at the end of week six, but my follow-up appointment wasn’t until about week 7 post-op. I think being a bit older (as compared to my teens/twenties where I was always too eager to return to activity after injury), a week wasn’t much longer in the grand scheme of things.

Week six was probably the first week I started feeling much better with mobility. I did my physical therapy exercises religiously, and I could feel that getting in and out of the sling was becoming easier. Still, Bam made sure I asked for help as needed. I was doing harder cycling workouts and using the leg press machine. My sling was getting pretty gross.

Week seven was a great week. I got approval to remove my sling at the end of the week! It felt so strange. Instead of feeling “free,” I felt like I was always missing something important. That same day, I permitted to do six sling-free walking laps at physical therapy. I was allowed to start elliptical and walk/jogging (but if jogging hurt, then no running for six more weeks).

During week 8, I incorporated some walk + runs in my week. As a runner, it felt AMAZING to be moving like that again. I kept up with my pulley exercises. This was also the first week I had to drive to work. I had to drive to another location, though, so my commute was longer. Although I could fit in my physio work before and after work, I definitely didn’t fit in many exercises during the work day. I think this may affect my progress in the weeks ahead, if it’s any indication of what I can/can’t do while away from my home system of a pulley and a mat/light stick to help mobility.

During week 9 (now), I have added some light pulling exercises at physical therapy. I’m still not supposed to push or pull more than 3lbs. No planks. No lifting. It makes many things in the lab more difficult, but I have lots of help from my coworkers. I did my first two solid runs (slow 30 mins), and I’m still doing some 20 min run/walks that are geared more toward speed (but also have walking breaks). I’m keeping my mileage low and making sure I do physical therapy exercises before and after running. Doing core work is so much easier without a sling, but I still miss planks and weighted abs.

I felt like having the sling removed and being able to drive again was a huge positive emotional gain. I felt less dependent on Bam, and I enjoying being back in the office. I still can’t raise my arm overhead yet, but I can work it up there with the pulley and some circles. I can raise my arm up to about 115 degrees by itself, which is better than 90 degrees! I’m compensating a little less with my surrounding muscles, but it will take some concentrated effort on my part.

Also, I have two side projects I started. One is my self-started art project/occupational therapy project. I’m making resin-casted cicadas. It has helped me as I slowly return to mobility. The other project has been putting in an offer on a house/condo!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters