A Newbie’s Account on Skinning and Skiing Powder

At the end of 2020, I made plans to go skiing with my boyfriend. Last February, I dislocated my shoulder at the bottom of a run at Monarch (Colorado). I spent most of 2020 rehabbing that shoulder and improving my flexibility. I learned the very important lesson of not putting my hands in the ski pole loops. Because of this injury, I also missed out on the guys going ski touring last year, which was something that really intrigued me. Instead, I talked to my friend Justine about ski touring and did a lot of research online during the year.

I haven’t found many embarrassing accounts from other newbs online, so I’m here to fill that gap. I always like hearing other people’s experiences.

I’m a novice skier. I get scared when I go too fast, and I like to feel in control at all times. I’m happy on blue groomers after warming up on some greens. I’m also an avid runner, which tends to convince others that I’m more athletic than I am. I’m in good overall fitness, but I still struggle with eye-hand coordination. Many of my running teammates have picked up ski touring as a winter activity, and they have all come back with the same enthusiastic response, “It’s an ass-kicker. I love it.” I definitely had to try this.

I wanted to make sure my bindings would release if I fell. I liked the (relatively new) idea of the shift bindings—they release and have brakes for downhill skiing, but they also have pins for uphill skinning. Heavier than tech bindings, I was willing to trade the weight for safety/mental concerns. Being a short person (151cm length skis), it was also a struggle to find proper short length skis. Luckily, Al’s Ski Barn (www.untracked.com) came through. They offered the bindings, skis, and skins I needed to get started. They mounted my bindings, and I brought my boots and skis to REI to get the DIN settings adjusted. I later purchased Black Diamond’s skins, which I felt had a better adhesive.

I bought a pair of ski poles (collapsible), a backpack (Osprey Kestra 30), and an avalanche safety kit: shovel, beacon, probe (Black Diamond Recon Avy Safety Set). I devoured online videos about avalanche safety. My boyfriend would be going with me, and he is an experienced backcountry skier. Definitely take an avalanche safety course

I used my running clothes for base layers (spandex pants, Lululemon long sleeved shirts, sports bras), ski socks (I like SmartWool), and DynaFit touring pants/jacket. I wear a ski bib and heavier jacket for resort skiing. I had a Giro ski helmet from REI that I has to replace with a new helmet this trip (Smith). As a smaller-medium person (5’0”, 100-105lbs, size 7.5 shoes, 22” head), sometimes tracking down the best fit comes to brands that offer that size. 

We drove 20+ hours to Park City, Utah. Three days of resort skiing would help warm up for backcountry ski touring.

I took a group training class to work on my turns. I probably could have worked with the next higher level, but we had two skiers who held the class back. Regardless, we all improved our turning skills and worked on drills. Sadly, later that afternoon while skiing with my boo, I got steamrolled by a 200+ lb man who took a wrong turn and didn’t see me. Concussion and shoulder pain for a few days, but I got a new helmet to replace my shattered one, did morning yoga, and skied better.


On our final morning at Park City, we skied uphill and downhill before the lifts opened. They only offer uphill skiing before and after the lifts are open. It was a great workout! I loved it, and I would prefer to ski this way every day. It was time for some new views, though, so we headed to Salt Lake City.

After some Thai food and instruction from a local friend, Val, we downloaded the Wasatch Backcountry Skiing guide book app. I recommend this app. You can easily see elevation, figure out a course, and read detailed accounts for a variety of peaks. Every day, we checked the avalanche forecast (Utah Avalanche Center) before heading out, planned a route, and read about the route for tips. Because of moderate avalanche danger, we tried to stay at proper facing slopes, at appropriate elevation, and low angles.

Day one: Circle All (or Awl) Peak, Big Cottonwood Canyon, northwest of Butler Fork trailhead. 

We met two guys finishing their day when we began. They said the snow wasn’t great, lots of mud, and they booted down. We headed out, and Bam showed me how to use my skis properly for hiking up (and gave a fair warning about energy conservation). Hiking up was no problem. We definitely had to strip down to our base layers. I worked on my kick turns and felt so confident.


Snacks were eaten at the top, and we enjoyed the view. Coming down the hill, though, was scary for me, I had never skied powder or deep snow or spotty snow. My first attempt to turn? FAIL. You cannot turn the same way in powder as you do on groomed, packed trails. I was waist deep in snow, and all I could see was a slope ahead of me covered in trees (snow pack was shitty this year too). Every turn attempt ended with me in a bush or with my skis deep in snow. I was almost in tears because I felt like I was drowning, but Bam was patient with me and helped me out. Embarrassingly, I booted down until we crossed back over the stream. I put on my skis and finished the route until mud/rocks took over (I booted that). Lesson of the day? Don’t panic, its okay to boot, don’t ski shitty snow conditions for your first time in backcountry. Beggars can’t be choosers, though. I would recommend Circle All Peak for those going out a second time in the backcountry/who have skied in powder before— just because it can be a bit much to learn turning with all the trees.

Day two: Powder Park 3, Big Cottonwood Canyon

I LOVED this route! An easy ski in, with some good steep stuff to get to the top of the cone, this is a beginner’s paradise! I definitely fell a lot, but it was easier to navigate with so much open space. I began to learn to turn with my hips, try to float on the snow, and not put the same kind of pressure on my edges as I would on groomers. Admittedly, following Bam back through the trees was an experience. Of course, coming through the ice luge at the end closes for a nice cool-down.

Day three: Powder Park 1, Big Cottonwood Canyon

We found a way up that challenged my kick turns (some tight turns around large fallen trees), and Bam was showing off his superior lung capacity as we moved along the ridge. I was starting to feel the lack of rest days (I ran on days when Bam didn’t ski). Coming down was just as fun, but some areas were low on snow (shitty snowpack, not much new snow). Exhausted, I fell a lot more. Again, I highly recommend this area for those wanting to work on their powder skills. Good distance to hike in/out—great workout.



This year has been sad for snow. We stopped at Vail on the way home, but a wind storm the night before blew out the back bowls. It was like skiing on the ice coast back home. I’ll have to try again when it snows more.

All in all, it was a perfect trip for my first time ski touring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running