2020: Fall Update

This has been quite a year.

Update on learning:

I'm working through CS50's Introduction to Computer Science. The lectures move quickly, and the homework is challenging. I'm learning Mandarin and French. I've taken a TRX continuing education course this year.

Update on fitness:

I rehabbed my shoulder successfully. I've been running 40 mile weeks consistently, but I'm taking eight weeks now to do a 5k plan (so the mileage is only 20-30 miles per week). I just finished week 7 of a TRX strength/balance program. After this program, I'll move on to building strength with heavier weights.

Update on travels:

In July, I managed a few days to go to the New River Gorge for some hiking, running, and swimming in the lake. I followed that up with a road trip to see a guy I like. I stopped at Ripley, Ohio, for a quick leg stretch, then I made it up to Indiana Dunes National Park (newest designated National Park in 2019). I spent the night in Valpariso before meeting my boyfriend and his mom in St. Joseph, MI.

In September, I visited the guy again in Naperville, IL. I ended up meeting the whole family, due to a funeral.

Update on books:

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari was recommended to me by the guy I'm dating and by some co-workers. It was an interesting read, but I would like to go back and fact check some of the author's claims. I think it is to be taken with a grain of salt.

On China by Henry Kissinger is a book I read because my boyfriend (okay, fine, we will call him that; we haven't made it official...just for lack of better words, I'm using that here) wrote a thesis on the South China Sea. I don't know much about China, but Kissinger gives his viewpoint on a lot of things. He is criticized for being too friendly about China, but I also think some people judge China without any historical knowledge. Around the time I started this book, I also started learning Mandarin using Duolingo, and quickly transferring over to HelloChinese.

Liquid Rules by Mark Miodownik was another enjoyable dive into science and history! Definitely worth a read if you also liked Stuff Matters or want to know some more about the liquids of the world around you, from kerosene to ballpoint pens to polymers to liquid crystals!

Science of the Magical by Matt Kaplan is the kind of book I like to go around recommending to people who say they like science and fantasy. It bridges the gap between reality and fiction---and how the latter may be inspired by the former. If you enjoy learning that the liver is the only organ that can grow back to its full size (remind you of a certain myth?) or learning the relationship between crows and wolves doesn't just exist in stories, then you might enjoy this book. Although some of the myth busting boils down to speculation, it was an easy read.

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson is a book that told me nothing new, but it mentioned things that I wish people would grasp. A very quick self-help book that people running through emotional loops should read to slap them back to what matters.

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami is a fantasy novel with strange twists and turns. If you like strange, then you might like this. If you're looking for deep insight or knowledge, then this might not be what you would like to read.

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin is the first in its trilogy. I read it because I was learning more about China's history, and the book opens with a historical fiction chapter taking place during the Cultural Revolution. After reading it, I found out my co-worker likes this series! He wants me to hurry up and finish the series so we can talk about it. A science fiction story involving physics and politics, be prepared for a fun ride where stories intertwine to reveal an alien species!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling is a book I've started and not finished for years. My boyfriend was listening to the books and watching the movies, so I decided to finish the story for myself. This book is probably where the series starts to get a little more serious. I thought this is where Harry whines the most. Probably my least favorite book of the series so far.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling made me like the series again. Snape has always been one of my favorite characters, and I'm glad his story is revealed more in this book. Ron is the whiner in this book. I'm ready to read the final book, though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running