2017 Update

I find it amusing that I haven't written a single entry this year after sounding so excited about returning to recording my adventures.

At the tail end of last year, I made a trip to Ecuador with my friend Lexa. I spent Christmas and New Year's there. We visited Quito, BaƱos, Quilotoa, and Cotopaxi. I tried canyoning for the first time, enjoyed our quick jog-hike around Quilotoa (crater lake), and had a restful time at Cotopaxi. No one celebrates NYE like Ecuador, and I'd be tempted to visit again.

In January, I met James Hamblin, a writer I discovered throughout The Atlantic's health pages. He came to my town to give a book talk, and he signed everyone's book. I don't put anyone on a pedestal, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit shy when I said hello.

In February, I tried my first hip hop dancing class. Enough said.

In March, I went on a backpacking trip with Nora to the Upper Kanab Wilderness and visited my aunt and uncle in St. George, Utah. The terrain in some of the canyons was similar to a playground. We got to climb rocks, go skinny dipping, and see some great artwork. I always enjoy my backpacking adventures, and this one was quite exciting with some rain and meeting new people.

In April, I ran a horrible 10k, but I placed as first female overall. I received a brick and a wine bottle for winning. It was also right before my birthday, so it was a good way to finish 28 years of living. I celebrated my birthday by dog sitting, going to an Andrew McMahon/Night Riots/Atlas Genius concert, and eating Panera. Alone. It was fantastic.

In May, I visited Erica as she did her first triathlon in Oxnard, CA. Work took the opportunity to make me drive to San Diego, where I got to do an awesome work job with Bruce and squeeze in a visit to my sister.

In June, I went to Firefly Music Festival. It was a quick turn around to Pascagoula, MS, for an exhausting work trip. The highlight here is I learned how to operate a man lift and work at hazardous heights for hours on end, sometimes alone!

In July, I went dirt bagging, camping, and hiking with Nora in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado! This was incredible. I climbed my first two (class 3) 14'ers! Nora was patient with my lack of acclimation to the atmosphere. We did two days of trail work, where we helped build a turnpike and put in some check steps. Nora dragged me through some runs where all I did was cry silently. Kidding. We hiked/jogged Ice Lakes/Island Lake, which I would recommend to everyone going through Silverton.

That brings us to now. I've gone to 29 concerts this year, so I'll probably throttle that back and go to only a couple more this year. I fell in love with live music last year, but my money is now going to be used a bit more wisely. The concerts forced me out of the house, which I needed last year.

I have a few more training sessions with Coachella Slobo, and then I'm leaving the gym. I've learned so much from him! My next race is the Navy Air Force Half Marathon in September, but I don't know much past that. I will continue to lift and run, though, as being active is just a constant in my life.

I signed up for an art class and a psychology class this fall. I have an idea in the back of my mind that I might want to be an art therapist, but I need prerequisites for that. You see, from December to March, I lost three friends. One to stomach cancer, one to suicide, and one to a stroke. I didn't talk to them on a daily basis, but they each were close to me in some way. The suicide hit me hard. I know what depression is firsthand, but the solution, cure, or respite from it is so difficult to find. For me, art helped the most with expressing my emotions. I'm not the best with words, so the visual was great, and I felt like I accomplished something in art therapy. Anyways, I'll see if this is a path I want to pursue. I'm aware I still have bills to pay and mouths to feed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running