Race Recap: Navy-Air Force Half Marathon

Today I ran the 3rd annual Navy-Air Force Half Marathon in Washington, D.C. I met my three goals of negative splitting, running under 1:25:00, and placing in the top 10 for females.

Preparation
I've been training with Capital Area Runners for a few months now, and I've run new PRs at multiple distances (1 mile, 4 mile, 10k). I was already signed up for the Richmond Marathon in November, and I had set Newport (RI) Half as my tune-up race in October. Coach said I should run this race as a secondary tune-up. I'm easily convinced. My weekly mileage has been 40-60 miles for the past month. My last hard workout was last Tuesday (6x1200m). I ran easy 7.5, easy 5, easy 4 (last mile pick-up), and easy 2 miles for Tuesday through Saturday. Core work every day, of course.

Pre-Race
The race only offered one race pick-up day, at the Washington Nationals baseball stadium. I got there early, and it was already hectic/slow. I felt bad for those standing in the rain later in the day. On the upside, I saw Sarah and we talked strategy. After spending 30-40 minutes just to get my bib, I headed to Annapolis. I watched the Navy XC teams run at the Salty Dog Invite, and it was great motivation for me. I saw two of my XC teammates (Erin and Vicki) and my XC coach, which boosted my mood. Sadly, I heard Nathan was the pilot who died in the jet crash late last week, and that made for a depressing evening. I didn't know him too well, but we had class together, and I had a tiny crush on him. May he rest in peace.

Breakfast/lunch was a Naval Bagel avocado delight on a bagel (turkey, avocado, lettuce, tomato) and a cappuccino muffin from Great Harvest. Water, of course. I snacked on some pumpkin bread before dinner. Dinner was two glasses of Nuun, a glass of water, and a big plate of ravioli with red sauce (ravioli from frozen section of the grocery store).

Race Day
Rob was supposed to give me a ride, either to the race or at least to the metro. I woke up at 3:25 A.M., and I didn't see him around his place, so I worried until I fell back asleep at 4:00 A.M. At 5:45 A.M, my alarm went off, and he still wasn't home. I called and texted, but I didn't get an answer, so I worried that he either got in a car crash, was in jail, or died somewhere. I always think the worst, so I brushed it off, told myself that he was fine (I would be too upset to lose a third friend in one week), and jogged to the metro after some water and a bowl of oatmeal. Luckily, the metro was only a mile away. I arrived at the race start at 6:50 A.M. and had time only to drop off my bag in the baggage check (When I saw Cris and Vicki! Yay for familiar faces!). The lines for the port-a-johns were too long, so I told myself I would pee myself if it got that bad during the race (good thing I used the restroom before leaving home!).

I saw Sarah and Evan at the starting corral (yay for pace-estimated corrals!), and we talked some quick strategy (basically, go out in 6:40 for the first two miles and cut down from there). After the National Anthem, a few words from the race director, and the wheelchair start, we were off! I thought of Nathan while the National Anthem was played.

Miles 1-3:
6:47.7, 6:25.1, 6:24.0
Relaxed. Felt easy. This section crosses the Memorial Bridge, goes around the traffic circle, and comes back over the bridge before heading west toward Georgetown. The goal was to run the first two miles in 6:40. Ryan found us, and we made a solid pack early. We picked up the pace a little more and a little sooner than Sarah and I expected. After passing George at mile 3, he said to just start picking people off and pass them. I turned to Sarah, whose watch said closer to 6:20 at one point, and I agreed that pace was a little rich this early. Evan and Ryan hopped in front of us, as Ryan said it would be best to draft off each other instead of running four-abreast.

Miles 4-6: 6:29.8, 6:29.2, 6:22.8
These miles go slightly uphill along Rock Creek Park. We kept it steady, picking off people who started too fast. I thought there was supposed to be a water stop at mile 5, but I either missed it or it wasn't there.

Miles 7-9: 6:16.0, 6:14.1, 6:18.8
My legs started feeling odd going downhill. Not painful, not trashed, just felt like they were pounding a little. I stayed behind Evan and Ryan and tried to focus on good form. Going through a water stop, the first cup I grabbed had barely any water in it, so I had to grab one from the table myself (and knocked over a bunch of other cups in the process--sorry!). Evan and Ryan pulled away a little, and Sarah and I agreed not to pick it up too much right now. We were trying to find a comfortable pace. I didn't look at my watch much at this point; I tried to run by feel. Sarah and I reeled in another woman just before seeing George again. That's when he shouted that there were some women just ahead of us, that we were in 11th and 12th place (women), and to go get them. "Got it!" was my response, and I felt a little rejuvenated.

Miles 10-12: 6:14.0, 6:12.6, 6:12.1
I caught back up to Evan and Ryan, with Sarah right with me. Just before mile 10, I felt a sharp sting in my left thigh. I didn't feel any bug when I put my hand down, so I just kept running. It continued to sting a little, so I figured it was a fly or wasp. Stupid bugger. At the tip of Hains Point, I ignored the water stop because it was crowded with Navy Five Mile runners and lots of cups/water on the ground. Coming around the bend, I had to weave through many Five Mile runners, so I tried to follow in Ryan's wake. I passed three women (one in a black tank top, one in a light blue tank top, and another in a GRC singlet) and kept trying to hold the pace. Ryan disappeared.

Miles 13-13.1: 6:15.0, 1:46.4
The final mile was great. I've never felt so good at the end of a half marathon! There was a slight uphill at the end of the 13th mile, but I tried to hold the pace, imagining that the GRC girl was right on my shoulder. Cheryl was there and shouted at me that the half marathoners were in the right lane (I am so glad she said that! I would not have known that the red sign with the arrow meant for me to be in the right lane; words have meaning.). I heard George shout and saw the finish line just ahead. When I finished, I was so happy to see that I was finishing just under 1:24:30! My goal was to run a negative split, run 1:25:00 (which would mean a PR), and place in the top 10 females.  All achieved! I ran a FOUR minute PR! Of course, I am stoked.

Overall (official): 1:24:24 (6:27/mile pace)

Post-Race
I met up with my teammates, and I was glad to hear about all the PRs and great placements. Heather PRed by 10 minutes (and looked great while doing so)! I quickly ate a banana, a granola bar, and drank a bottle of water. After getting my bag (that went okay; waiting took a while, but at least they didn't lose my bag, like some other man's bag they lost), I ate the rest of Cris' protein box (grapes, apples, cheese, bread with peanut butter) and stretched. We waited around for the awards. Erin and Pat won 1st; Greg got 3rd; Kelly and Kate placed 5th and 6th; Matt placed 10th; I placed 9th female. Sarah placed 12th female. Overall, Capital Area Runners Team 1 won the open team division (yaaaay!). I was so happy for the race to have gone well for so many people. I also saw the Navy Marathon Team (from the Naval Academy), so I went to say hello to the coach and say congrats (they got the first place military team).

I rode the metro home, grabbed some Four Sisters for lunch, and walked home. Rob is alive, and he was sorry about not being able to take me to the race or to the metro. He realizes he is an asshole (his words; not mine). That doesn't put a damper on my day, though. I'm glad he is not in jail and not dead.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running