Race Recap: Track Mile (Twice!)

On Wednesday of this week, I ran a mile around a track (yes, a true mile, not a 1600m). I did the same thing this morning. I had a good race on Wednesday and a bad race today. I was really aiming to run faster today.

Wednesday was a long day of hydrating at work and making it through traffic to a warm, overcast track mile race. DC Road Runners put on the race at T.C. Williams High School. Our coach uses the race day as the team photo day. I ran in the ladies' fast heat (under 6:00, over 5:15) with a few of my teammates from Capital Area Runners. It was okay. It felt good, even if I didn't negative split.

Here are my splits:
1:22
2:44
4:09
5:29

I was happy with that, seeing as I ran a 5:28 at the Loudon Street Mile (downhill road mile), and this made the track mile official.

On Thursday, I ran 3 miles and 10 miles, both relaxed and slow. On Friday I ran 6.5 miles.

**This next paragraph has TOO MUCH INFORMATION. Stop reading if you can't handle female body cycles and shit.**

Today's race was not good. To backtrack, I started my period yesterday. After a 46 day cycle, I was happy to get it, but I get the worst cramps ever. I was in terrible pain by the end of work yesterday, so I nixed my afternoon run (6.5 miles seemed like enough for the day before a race) and spent the afternoon in pajamas in the fetal position, trying to hydrate. That's my kind of a Friday evening. My cycle is normally 32-42 days, and I never know when I'm ovulating or what my hormones are doing. I just know that during my WEEK-long periods (yuck), I feel like shit. It's gross. I'm not going on the pill, though, because I'm concerned about side-effects.

Today I woke up dehydrated with a dry mouth and period cramps. Not good. The weather was humid, warm, overcast. On the warm-up, I felt pretty decent, legs only a little tired and tight, but nothing terribly unusual. I tried to do a few strides, but I couldn't get in a groove. I ideally want to warm-up at least 2x200m race-pace strides before my mile races, but I end up getting the distance of the straight (100m) to stride. I toed the line with Nora, Joe, and Jessica with the sub-5:20 mile group. That was the goal.

Here are the splits from today:
1:24
2:48
4:12
5:35

Ugh. I saw coach later and chatted about the race briefly. I'm blaming this one on not hydrating properly. I always have to hydrate a bit more on my period...and need to remember that. For the rest of today, cramps are in my future. I got my hair cut and my nails done (for free), so I feel a little bit better about my personal hygiene. I'm one of those girls who always feels sick on her period. Cramps and being gross. I've run some great races on my period, but today was not one of those days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Thank You: Running