Working Out When You're "Just Not Feeling It"

In the past, I've been eager to "keep up my fitness" during injuries or slight "tweaks" by using the elliptical, arc trainer, or erg. Last week, though, I really wasn't feeling it. I would make it to the gym, but I couldn't complete even a few seconds on the elliptical. I did five minutes on the stair stepper, but I then I couldn't mentally take it. I wound up doing a dynamic warm-up, a short lifting circuit, stretched, and left. I told myself that maybe I was just mentally tired, that I needed a training break from running.

Today, though, I had a great workout! I did a workout on the elliptical followed by a lifting session and a good stretch session. I pondered, "What made today so different? How did I get out of my little rut?"

Working Out When You're "Just Not Feeling It"

Pre-Step. Determining between "Just not feeling it" or "REALLY need a break." Take a break when you need it, mentally or physically. A lot of runners/athletes push through days when their bodies are screaming for rest or an easier day. Most runners have a set schedule, and they get stressed if they miss a day (understandable, as running is a great stress reliever). This is okay to a certain point. If proper recovery and rest is not worked into the training routine, it can result in injury, fatigue, or exhaustion. The body can begin to break down, and the mind might start to feel like running is a difficult chore--not a stress reliever or an enjoyable activity. It's okay to say, "I've been training well for a while now, but today I'm just not feeling it," and take the day for cross training, active rest, or even complete rest. This is harder to do if you compete for a team, but it is a little easier for recreational runners. A break is a "reset" button, not necessarily a shut down/stop/unplug. One or two days of rest/"missed" training days is better than two or four (or more) weeks off training because of injury. It is your decision to listen to your body. An easy determination factor is to start your workout. If you still hate it/are in pain after 10 minutes, stop. If you start getting into the groove and are enjoying it, keep going.

1. Switch it up. When I'm out of commission for running, or in a rut, I find variety helpful. This is why I love triathlon training--swimming, biking, running, and lifting! When I'm not training for a triathlon, I enjoy rock climbing, lifting, CrossFit, Bikram yoga, and hiking. I'll even try out the elliptical, erg, or stepper. When I had a Sport & Health or a Gold's Gym membership, I would try out all the group exercise classes--spin, body pump, yoga, step--you name it! Another idea is to make your "workout" like recess--games! Either join a local social sports league, play soccer/basketball with your kids/friends, or play the card game (assign an exercise to each suit or number, and do chosen amount of each exercise (ex. 15) every time a card is flipped, go through the whole deck if you can).

2. Workout immediately after waking up or finishing work. Today I finished work, ate a banana on my way out the door/down the stairs from my office, and walked immediately to the gym. Two things can throw a wrench in my plans if I'm feeling "vulnerable" to the "blerch": getting in my car or sitting on my bed. Getting in my car leads to driving, which can lead to distraction once I get to my destination (usually a house), and I can be so slow getting out of the car and into the house to change my clothes to go workout. Sitting on my bed...well, my bed is extremely comfortable and can knock me out in two seconds. I don't stand a chance.

3. Excuse proof yourself. I have a gym at work, a sandbag at my house, dumbbells and my bike at my boyfriend's place, a TRX, bands, and a jump rope in my car, and a gym membership (for rock climbing). Basically, no matter where I am, I have something to workout with, so that takes away my gym excuse (Some people even use their furniture or just their bodyweight to workout! You don't need equipment!).

4. Plan to meet someone for a workout. There have been days that I've thought, "It's cold and raining. I'll just take it easy and run "x" miles today," when my running buddy Jack texts me, "Hey, wanna run today?" It's hard to say no to a running buddy who lives less than half a mile away. He might see me slogging (slow jogging) while he and Trevor are out killing a tempo run. Running buddies are always more fun...especially if you can have company for the next meal!

5. Reward yourself. I've seen a silly image going around the internet. It says, "You are not a dog. Do not reward yourself with food." I think this is ridiculous. Food can absolutely be a "reward" or "carrot on a stick." Just stick to a healthy diet, with everything in moderation. Getting through my long bike rides in the summer meant brunch afterwards. I said if I finished my half Ironman under six hours, then I would treat myself to an outfit from Lululemon (yay). In the winter, a long cold run meant a hot shower, pajamas, and a nap. Make up your own rewards (or try mine out). I'm on a hot apple cider kick right now.

6. Instagram/Facebook/Strava that sh*t. Social media...it can be great or it can suck. You might have friends who will put you down ("Facebooking a picture of your run again?" "Oh, thanks for the notice you went to the gym, again."), but you might have friends who will support you or friends who you will inspire. Believe me, this latter group is more important. It always gives me a boost when someone gives me "kudos" about a hard workout that I had a tough time on. It also lets people know when I was looking for a running/workout buddy. I think there's even a Nike app out there that you can start on your run, and if your friends "like" your Facebook notice, then you'll hear actual cheering on your run. Knowing you might post your workout later might give you more of an incentive to finish that mile.

7. Sign up for a race. Having something to train for can be a solid incentive to make a plan and stick to it. You don't want to be suffering on race day!

8. Amp up your surroundings: music or nature. Blast your favorite music on your iPod or enjoy the sound of nature. Sometimes I hear a great song on the radio that keeps my momentum going through changing clothes and heading out for my workout. Once I made it a goal to go to a new park/trail each week to run/workout. Some of these parks ended up being smaller than I expected, but I would take a photo of the park sign to put in my album (so that was a little reward itself). I saw so much more than if I was on a treadmill or running the same running routes available from my home/work. I even took some "runcations"--going on vacation specifically for a new place to run.

9. Keep a log. Writing it down can keep you honest about how many "rest" days you've taken versus how many "skip" days you've taken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters