Book Review: The Great Gatsby

In May, I read F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. I remember having an option in high school of books to read during the summer, and my brother told me this was a boring book and to read one of the other options instead. Years down the road, I think he wanted to protect me from the idea of sex and affairs.

I enjoyed The Great Gatsby! It is wonderfully written, and I appreciated its simplicity. During the 1920's, a man, Jay Gatsby, spends his life trying to win over the girl of his dreams, Daisy. The ends justifies the means; Gatsby will do what it takes to become a success and impress her. This includes moving to West Egg and living in the house across the bay from her house. He throws lavish parties and is a wonderful host to all his guests. Daisy, unfortunately, has married a man while Gatsby was away making himself a better man. This husband is having an affair with another woman, and Daisy and Gatsby find themselves back in love. Probably because I'm a sucker for love stories and tragedies, I read the book quickly (and it is a short book--180 pages). I don't want to spoil the ending, but it is an exciting finish. I can relate to the narrator's feelings towards everyone at the end (as probably is the same with most people).

As for the movie, I have not yet seen it, but I am trying to make time to go watch it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Recap: Four Courts Four Miler

Shoulder Surgery Recovery: Wrapping Up Week 5

Lab Lessons: Mils, Not Millimeters